Sunday, June 22, 2014

Consequence of Miracles

Do you guys read Twilight fan fiction anymore? Because I don't (confession: I never read a lot of fic in the first place, if you can believe that). But that said, that purveyor of all things worthy in the fandom, LeJadaLulu was going insane for a fic a month or so ago and I couldn't help but notice. Not when all my other fandom folks on Twitter were going insane for it. Finally, my curiosity got the best of me and I'm telling you guys, I devoured this fic. Couldn't wait for updates, would drop everything to read them. You're lucky - I'm not even telling you about this until now, when it's complete!

Consequence of Miracles is an angsty read but not traumatic, in that it's not graphic in any way and it's not gratuitous, if you know what I mean. It does tackle a Very Difficult Subject, and let me tell you, this would be the last thing I'd ever put on my TBR list, knowing what it was about but not knowing the story itself. I like reading happy shit, not dramatic stories. But it was handled incredibly well, and the story is actually told through Bella's eyes and manages to be her story, even though the dark, difficult stuff happens to Edward (I'm trying to not be spoiler-y, but give fair warning that the story could possibly be a trigger for some folks). If you're looking for a different kind of Twilight fic, or are just curious, I encourage you to take a look. I feel like it was an incredibly sensitive and hopeful treatment of a painful subject and I've never read a fic quite like it. I even legitimately cried after one chapter and I don't think I've ever done that reading a fic!

Speaking of minor miracles, guess what? I HAVE AN AGENT, YOU GUYS. I wrote something that isn't fic!



It's called LOUD IS HOW I LOVE YOU and it's a smutty, funny romance about indie rock kids in the 90s. I sent it out to a bunch of agents and snagged representation by Brooks Sherman at the Bent Agency and I couldn't be more excited. And nauseated. For a moment, just imagine me having a conversation with this nice man, a literary agent, who is quite lovely but still mostly a perfect stranger, about the possibility of pitching a follow-up book with three-way sex in it. This is my life now. And while it's awkward, it also happens to be awesome.

Anyway, LOUD is out on submission with some publishers and now I wait to see if anyone wants to actually buy it and publish it, so my smutty words can be out there in the actual world.

HOLY SHIT.

Or, maybe more appropriate in this circumstance: Jesus MotherFucking Hamster Fucker.

My new pen name is Mercy Brown. I picked it because I wanted something that would be a statement about where I come from as a writer, and that's right here with all of you. Plus, Mercy is just sexier than Mygdala (but you guys, please keep calling me Myg or I will be totally confused).

And, I've never been good at ending blog posts.

The End.

24 comments:

  1. Weeeeeeee doggie! I am so thrilled and proud of you @Myg. I know this is happening....because, well, it is already HAPPENING!!!

    As for the fic....I read it.....and I cried. I actually like the Bella in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I really loved the way Bella was written in this fic. So honest, you know? The author(s) took a bunch of crap for her not being perfect (being real), but they wrote her spot-on, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm leaving this comment because I forgot to hit the "notify me" box on my other comment. Rusty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited about your book and I will buy it once it's purchasable. I kept up with fanfic and I find new authors all the time. I can't wait to read this....even if there are no lemons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know, it's so good I forgot all about the lack of lemons! Truly, the story doesn't need them. It's sort of a classic YA story in that way, kinda like some other YA I think we're all familiar with...

      Delete
    2. I've been called a 15 year old because of my love of YA, besides fanfic I have not read a book that is not YA since High School...how backward of me!

      Delete
  5. Yes, I agree that "JMFHF" is the appropriate sentiment here! Possibly with more (or at least ONE) exclamation points, even?

    When you need me to come hold the brown paper bag, just let me know and I'll be there in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, when I typed JMFHF without an exclamation point, you were the very first thing I thought of! <----SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

      Delete
  6. Ooooh! A ficrec? Haven't had a decent one of those in a while - thankies! :-)

    But your news, Myg! I mean Mercy. Nah, you'll always be Myg to me. That's AMAZEBALLS! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it - and to reading it! That's awesome, awesome news! Well done, you!

    CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome for the fic rec! This one really stuck with me, so hope you'll enjoy it! And thanks for the congrats. I will be back to talk lots more about it when I have more to tell!

      Delete
  7. that is insanely exciting!!! Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Myg! The only fan-fic that brought me to tears is your Osa Bella. When Bella is telling the therapist about her first husband dying - gets me every time. Can't wait for your new book!!
    -Devi D (can't figure out how to post as anything but anonymous, gah)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoo Hoo! Go Myg!!! I can't wait to see where you go from here. And of course, to read your book ;)

    I haven't started a new Twi fic in ages (and yet there is still so much Twi fic on my reading list...), but I shall certainly go have a look at this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much guys! I am stupidly excited about the whole deal! This book that I'm trying to get published (*crosses all the things*) is way less angsty than Osa Bella, but there are a few moments in it. Mostly it's a funny story with lemons and bands and it's very Jersey. Can't wait to be able to share it with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! Good luck!
    I never quit reading fan fiction - It's worse than crack cocaine and impossible to give up. I manage to read a "real" book now and then, but then have to go back for my Bella and Edward fix.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My comment was eaten...

    CONGRATS! I am so stupidly proud of you! With that amazing family of yours, and RL knocking at the door, I love that you are pushing yourself toward creativity. I can't wait to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Myg! Osa Bella remains one of my super faves btw, Mercy Brown? Love her! I read A LOT of fanfic...I'm sort of a book addict, I read at least 4 hours a night (good thing I don't need much sleep, huh?). Can't wait for this one-your ability to drag me into your worlds with words is such a gift-thank you! I am so thrilled for you! I've recently started reading a series by Janet Evanovich, set in Jersey, lol! Is Jersey really that, um, challenging? So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats and where have I been? I would always check your blog to see if anything new was going on and sadly I just accepted that you had given up. But TODAY I see that you're back with exciting news!!! *doing Snoopy dance*

    I'm so happy for you and wish you all the success. And by the way...............I STILL READ ALL THINGS TWILIGHT IN THE FANDOM! That's pretty much all I read every day. Can't seem to leave Forks.:)

    ~Paula

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy for you!!!! Since Osa Bella was my very first fic, I hold a lil special place in my heart for your writing. :)

    I will definitely check out this fic...adding it to my TBR list...it's long (that's what she said) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so late to notice there's Twitarded action... but what fantastic news to come back to! It's a big deal to snag an agent, that's quite an accomplishment. There are many many steps to get a book in hand. Celebrate them all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to read a TON of FF & actually wrote reviews for a long-time ago blog. I did read that & luvd it. I will totally buy your book for me and every friend I have ever had or can make, prior to publishing date!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing thanks for sharing this blog i become fan of your blogs now. This blog is so interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very informative post keep sharing with us guys .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Technologistan is the popoular and most trustworthy resource for technology, telecom, business and auto news in Pakistan.Provide information abou mobile packages like ufone sms packages , jazz sms packages

    ReplyDelete

Comments are our life now. Leave one!